- Current Independent Arbitrator (New York and London)
- 1999-2018 Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
Partner in International Arbitration Group based in New York, and until 2007 in Amsterdam. Acted as counsel or arbitrator in commercial and investment arbitrations under the ICC, ICSID, LCIA, AAA/ICDR, CPR, NAI and other sets of rules, as well as in ad hoc arbitration proceedings. Particular expertise in: energy sector; construction disputes; life sciences sector; m&a/joint venture disputes; and international investments. Representative matters include:
- serving as chair, co-arbitrator, sole arbitrator or emergency arbitrator in cases in the energy, construction, pharmaceutical, and financial services sectors
- representing ConocoPhillips in its precedent-setting ICSID arbitration arising out of expropriations in Venezuela
- acting for the Republic of Turkey in three major ICSID and ICSID Additional Facility arbitrations brought under the Energy Charter Treaty
- representing a major U.S. pharmaceutical company in ICC and LCIA arbitrations involving innovative drug therapies.
- Consistently highly ranked in league table publications, including Who’s Who Legal, Chambers Global, Chambers USA and Legal 500.
- 1996-1999 Senior Associate, Stibbe Simont Monahan Duhot
Acted with Albert Jan van den Berg in a large number of general commercial and construction arbitrations.
- 1994-1996 Legal Advisor, Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal
- 1992-1994 Litigation Associate, Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom
- 1991-1992 Law Clerk to Judge Harry T. Edwards, U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- 1990-1991 Law Clerk to Judge Leonard B. Sand, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- J.D. 1990 New York University School of Law
University Graduation Prize (class valedictorian)
Order of the Coif
Senior Note and Comment Editor, New York University Law Review
- B.A. 1985 Princeton University, summa cum laude
Atwater Prize in Politics (thesis prize)
Buchanan Prize in Politics (highest class standing)
- New York, 1991
Washington, D.C., 1991
- English (native); Dutch (advanced); Spanish (reading); French (reading)
- Chapters entitled Evidentiary Issues and Post-Award Access to Justice, in Cambridge Compendium Of International Commercial And Investment Arbitration (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming 2020).
- Editor, International Investment Arbitration (West Academic 2020).
- Back to the Future? Investment Protection at a Time of Uncertainty, 1 ITA in Review (Issue 2) (2019).
- Construction Arbitration in East Africa, in Global Arbitration Review: The Middle Eastern And African Arbitration Review (2d ed. 2018).
- Procedural Orders and Beyond: Tailoring the Arbitral Process to Maximize Efficiency, in 6 Korean Arb. Review 54 (2016).
- Party Autonomy, the “Right” to Appoint, and the Rise of Strategic Challenges, in Limits To Party Autonomy In International Commercial Arbitration (Juris Publishers, 2016).
- Enforcing Awards Involving Foreign Sovereigns, in International Commercial Arbitration In New York (2d ed. 2016).
- International Arbitrators as Lawmakers, 46 NYU Journal of Int’l. Law and Pol. 875 (2014).
- Enforcement after the Arbitration: Strategic Considerations and Forum Choice, in Forum Shopping In The International Commercial Arbitration Context (Sellier Publishers, 2013).
- Application of Article V of the New York Convention in the Netherlands, 25 J. Int’l Arb. 6 (2008).
- Consistency of Awards in Cases of Parallel Proceedings, in Towards A Uniform International Arbitration Law (Juris Publishers, 2005).
- Obtaining Evidence Abroad (Chapter on The Netherlands) (ABA Publication, May 2005).
- Arbitrage zonder (contractuele) grenzen: heden en toekomst van investeringsarbitrage, in Tijdschrift Voor Arbitrage (April 2005).
- Consolidation of Arbitral Proceedings, in IBA Section on Business Law, Arbitration and ADR Committee Newsletter (May 2004).
- Enforcing Foreign Arbitral Awards, 18 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (April 2003).
- The United States Perspective on Impecuniousness and Arbitration Agreements, in DIS Papers (2003).
- Enforcing Eurocontrol Awards, in PCA Papers (2002).
- Rethinking Discovery in International Arbitration, 12 ICC Bull. 1 (2001).
- Summary Arbitral Proceedings, 15 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (March 2000).
- Enforcing Annulled Awards, 14 Mealey’s Int’l Arb. Rep. (January 2000).
- Yearbook Of Commercial Arbitration (contributor), Vols. XX & XXI (1995-96).
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit (DIS)
- Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- ICSID Panel of Arbitrators
- ICSID Panel of Conciliators
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) (U.S. national committee)
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR)
- Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Netherlands Arbitration Institute (NAI)
- WIPO Panel of Neutrals.
- Adjunct Professor, and Distinguished Practitioner in Residence, NYU School of Law
- Founding Board Member, New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC)
- Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR
- Member, International Arbitration Club of New York
- Member, Advisory Board, NYU Journal of Law and Business
- Lectures and speeches at: numerous industry and governmental conferences; Harvard University; McGill University; New York University; Columbia University; Leiden University; Amsterdam University.
- Substantial experience conducting hearings and other proceedings using virtual electronic platforms.